Monday, July 20, 2009


The fam and I showed up "early" for the boys race and I had to put on my arm warmers, it was so cold. But by the time my race started it was close to 40 degrees warmer! It made for a long 2.5 hours. The boys worked hard and had fun racing, finishing 4th and 15th. They're getting there.

Dot was apparently way in 2nd when her chain dropped against the rear wheel where she lost a couple minutes and a position. Jen came in behind her in 4th.

I was not planning to do too well since I had a good 5 hour ride up AF canyon wednesday and my legs were still feeling it. I was just hoping to not have a mechanical, since the last three years of this course I had troubles. I headed out last again in a field of 10 (I think). Again I was satisfied to be last figuring I'd have time to catch up. It did take me a while to begin closing in on the group which worried me, but "luckily" it was a long race. I was also frustrated by me cleats. I had just put new ones on but kept popping out of them. I must of come out over 20 times during the race which was pretty frustrating. I saw Fred and Brad off the trail with mechanicals which is a bad way to move up in position. I finally caught Tim on the second lap but did not bother to pass since he was much faster on the downhill which was coming up. This time I managed to keep in sight of him unlike the first lap where he blew me away. I never liked the downhill at Solitude; it just beats me up. after passing Tim I realized I was in third place! I started day dreaming about a podium finish when I saw Fred approaching pretty fast. He had managed to fix his flat and catch up to me. Incredible! I had flashing aspirations of fighting him off but I had to be realistic and let him pass. Oh well at least I was poised to get lucky #4 which was a chance at the swag table. I did not bring enough water and was feeling it the last lap. The down hill was killing me. My upper body isn't very weak but by the last lap my arms and hands were wore out. I finished 4th in a field that had dwindled to 5!

I rehydrated and ate, did awards and then the plan was to do some "leadville" training with Chris and KC. I must say my legs were not very happy about this prospect. But Chris and KC have a great way of pushing me to my limits. We headed up the canyon to do the Crest trail. I cleaned puke hill which I am surprised at considering the 3 hours leg. I remember that climb killing me when we first moved to SLC in '96. We dropped down Mill D and I rode home from there. That was a 6 hour day including the toughest ICUP race of the year! Not too bad. I may actually be getting ready for Leadville.

Chris and KC overlooking Desolation Lake. I think this is one of the most beautiful scenes in the state.

Onward to Jackson. We are heading out Wed with the toyhauler to get some family camping in before the race. Looking forward to it.


KC said...

thanks for post race ride. It was much needed and a lot of fun. Beautiful.

Blackdog said...

Congratulations on stealing Bob's tweetie chair.
You passed me on Clarks Friday when I was contemplating my breakfast. Luckily I did not have to see it again.